“give me the creeps” means someone is scared of someone or something
يرعبني ، يجعل بدني يقشعر من الخوف
- The clown in Wisconsin that walks around carrying black balloons gives me the creeps.
“after hours” means the time when someone is not working at their job or a business is closed
الوقت الذي يكون فيه العمل إنتهى ، فترة الإقفال
- The owner told his employees that they weren’t allowed to have private parties after hours in his restaurant.
“be my guest” means for someone to tell someone that it’s okay to proceed doing something
تقولها لشخص طلب شيئ ما منك : تفضل قم بذلك، لا أمانع
- My hungry friend asked if he could look in my refrigerator for something to eat and I told him to be my guest.
” rocked the house” means for someone to put on a very entertaining performance
كان رائع ، أبهر الحضور
- The band I saw last night really rocked the house.
“keep your eyes peeled” means for someone to remain alert
كن يقظ ، كن منتبه
- I told my friend to keep his eyes peeled for snakes when he goes hiking.
“give me a break” means for someone to ask someone to stop bothering them or to ask someone to be lenient
لديها معنين، الأول : دعني و شأني، فك عني ، كف عن إزعاجي ::::: المعنى الثاني : تطلب من شخص ما أن يكون متساهل و متسامح ، رؤوف إلخ…
- Give me a break and leave me alone so I can study.
- I asked the policeman to give me a break and just issue me a warning and not give me a ticket for speeding.
“clear the decks” means to finish tasks so you are prepared to attend to more important matters
تعني أن تقوم بإنهاء أو إكمال ما تقوم به تأهبا و إستعدادا لأشياء أخرى أكثر أهمية. بمعنى أن تعبد الطريق لأشياء أخرى أكثر أهمية.
- Our supervisor told us to clear the decks before the new computers are installed in our office.
“pass the buck” means for someone to not take responsibility for something and give the responsibility to someone else
يلقي بالمسؤولية التي على عاتقه على عاتق أشخاص أخرين.
- Stop trying to pass the buck and take responsibility for what you’ve done
“saved by the bell” means that someone is spared from having to do something
تعني أنك تجنبت القيام بشيئ ما في أخر لحظة
- I thought I’d have to do yard work today for my father but I was saved by the bell because it started to rain.
“take someone for a ride” means that someone is acting in a deceptive manner
يخدع و يحتال
- She thought he was an honest and trustworthy man, but she found out he was taking her for a ride the entire time they were together.